what is descriptive writing
Descriptive text examples can also be found in many songs, since songs are meant to capture your emotions and to invoke a feeling.
Her last smile to me wasn’t a sunset. It was an eclipse, the last eclipse, noon dying away to darkness where there would be no dawn.
The most characteristic features of descriptive writing are that it will describe something, but will not go beyond an account of what appears to be there. A certain amount of descriptive writing is needed to establish for example:
- the setting of the research;
- a general description of a piece of literature, or art;
- the list of measurements taken;
- the timing of the research;
- an account of the biographical details of a key figure in the discipline; or
- a brief summary of the history leading up to an event or decision.
Students use their five senses and a graphic organizer to brainstorm ideas for writing a report on a recent school event and to help them think about interesting words to include in their report. See the lesson plan.
- Develop descriptive writing skill through modeling and the sharing of quality literature full of descriptive writing.
- Include lessons such as the ones listed below throughout the year.
- Call students’ attention to interesting, descriptive word choices in classroom writing.
- What is Descriptive Writing?
- The purpose of descriptive writing
- Descriptive Writing Techniques
- Descriptive Writing Examples
- Types of Descriptive Writing
- Features of Descriptive Writing
- Tips for good descriptive writing work
Hi, I am Susan White. I am a Senior Marketing Executive and Content Editor at AllAssignmentHelp.com. For the past few years I have been working with this company. I hope you liked the post above from one of our team members. If you want to share any improvements or want some more on this blog, please share your request on our email [email protected]
This is a bit hard to do on your own but it is doable. Toss a few things inside a box and, without looking, grab an item and guess what it is. Without looking at it, describe what you’re feeling. Write down what you think it is.
When it comes to writing, seeing different styles of houses and the decor within them makes for a great descriptive writing exercise.